Sunday, February 1, 2009

Why Charlie Chaplin Was Best in Black & White

It's funny the things you come across and dismiss as part of bigger things. I mean, we speak of information overload and of how we dismiss half of what we are bombarded with as spam, but how much of it do we lose in the process?

That's why I'm a sucker for little seemingly insignificant things. I just seem to jump on the weirdest bit of trivia just to see where it will lead.

I watched a movie last night. I had seen it before, but couldn't quite remember how it went, so I rather enjoyed feeling like I was having déjà vu but not knowing where it led. At some point, someone says 'Charlie Chaplin came in third in a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest'. That of course brought chuckles from me and my co-watcher, but I did remember hearing and reading about it before. So I said 'That's not only funny because it's in the movie, it's funny because it's true'. Which of course brought a 'Really? No kidding?' answer.

Now 'Really? No kidding?' answers always make me doubt myself. Although I was pretty sure I was right - I usually am - I had to research that little bit of trivia this morning. And hey, guess what? I was right. Ahem. I mean accourse I was right.

So now all I can say is What The Fuck?? Charlie Chaplin. In a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest. Third. What the hell are people expecting? Bigger than life? Betting on the one who doesn't seem so real because there's always a catch somewhere? That has to be one of the most absurd thing I ever heard.

But it's also sad and scary. Because it means that humanity is losing its sense of trust and its ability to see what is right in front of their eyes. I guess it's always been like that in a sense - people want to believe that things aren't what they seem. The question, and the problem, is the reason people need to do that. It aggravates me to the point of making up words. Oh, alright, I don't need an excuse to do that, but I still think this particular issue needs one. And I got it.

Simpliciteness (do sign up to read it, it's free - plus you'll get a great story and be introduced to an even greater site). As in don't overcomplicate your life trying to find lies where there aren't. Take everything at face value, and roll with the punches if you're wrong. It also means giving everything at face value....and rolling with the punches if people don't like it. I strive to be true. I strive to be real. I strive to be brutally honest. But in a society where everyone tends to say what they think is the right thing to say, regardless of how they feel or what they think, that doesn't always go over so well.

Well screw that. Lift the veil. Live a little. Drop the black & white and come out in full colour. Show yourself and the world that politics and society can't tame humanity. And if you're having a hard time - do what I did.

Let your StarLizard take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go on, let it rip...